Story Time: “Seeking the Wolf Tree”
- Hubbard Brook Reserach Foundation
- Nat Cleavitt, Hubbard Brook vegetation scientist
- Grades 5-8
Great for 5th grade students
Seeking the Wolf Tree is a story for upper elementary students about an adventure two students take through the Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest. Join Aurora and Orion as they search for a “wolf tree” in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, looking for such clues as a large trunk, low branches, wildlife activity, and nearby smaller trees.
Plus supplemental teaching resource links!
Find Supplemental Teaching Materials at the following links:
- Teaching packet
- Gallery of student-drawn wolf trees
- Wolf tree illustration exercise with checklist
- Water In, Water Out activity with rainfall and stream water data
- Hunt and Peck bird lessons
- Project Learning Tree Lessons
- Alignment with standards: CCSS and NGSS